Updated January 16, 2019
For ACCO Brands Canada LP, its parent, subsidiaries and affiliated entities (collectively, “ACCO Canada” or “we” or “us”), protecting your privacy is extremely important. This Policy describes how we may collect, manage and use your personal data. It also describes the rights you have over the use of that data. If you have any questions regarding this Policy or your personal data, you can reach us anytime at DataPrivacy@acco.com.
Table of Contents
- Your Consent and Agreement
- Collection of Information
- How We Use Information
- How We Share Your Information with Others
- Cookies and Other Technologies
- Targeted Advertising
- Your Privacy Choices
- Links to Other Sites
- Updating Your Information
- Contact Us
2. Your Consent and Agreement
How Do You Get My Consent?
When you provide us with personal information to complete a transaction, verify your credit card, place an order, arrange for a delivery or return a purchase, we imply that you consent to our collecting it and using it for that specific reason only.
If we ask for your personal information for a secondary reason, like marketing, we will ask you directly for your express consent. You can withdraw your consent at any time.
How Do I Withdraw My Consent?
If after you opt-in, you change your mind, you may withdraw your consent for us to contact you, for the continued collection, use or disclosure of your information, at any time, by contacting us on our web site, emailing us at DataPrivacy@acco.com, or mailing us at:ACCO Brands Canada LP
Re: Privacy Compliance Officer
7381 Bramalea Rd Mississauga Ontario CA L5S 1C4
4. Collection of Information
Information You Provide
We collect information that you provide to us, either by entering it into the Digital Services, providing it to a customer services representative, or otherwise. For example, when you request information, inquire about our services, subscribe to our emails, ask for promotional or support materials, place an order, open or manage an account, register ACCO Canada products, enter sweepstakes, contests, and promotions (collectively, ”Promotions”), participate in surveys, or apply for a job at ACCO Canada, we will ask you to provide information to complete these transactions. The information you provide may include personal information, such as your name, email address, street address and telephone number. Additional information you may provide includes, but isn’t limited to:
- If you log in your account, your username and password.
- If you make a purchase, your payment information.
- If you enter a Promotion, your age or birth date.
- If you participate in a survey, demographic information such as your gender, age, occupation, income, ethnicity, family size and marital status, and information regarding your preferences or product choices.
- If you share an article from the Digital Services with a third party, the third party’s email address.
- If you apply for employment, your work authorization status, academic and employment history, salary history, desired salary, and any other information you submit to us or include on the resume and other documents you upload to the Digital Services. You may also choose to provide optional information such as race, gender, and whether you have a disability or are a Veteran.
Information from Third Parties
ACCO Canada may collect information about you that we receive from other sources. For example, we may receive information about you from the U.S Postal Service National Change of Address (NCOA) service and providers of consumer data. We may combine the information we receive about you from these third parties with other information we collect from you. For example, we may use the information supplied by third parties to update and correct the information contained in our databases and to provide product recommendations and special offers that we think will interest you.
Information We Automatically Collect Through Technologies
We capture certain information automatically whenever you visit or use the Digital Services. This information may include your Internet protocol (IP) address, browser type, operating system, device type, application software, time and date you visit or use the Digital Services, and traffic patterns and usage data, such as the pages you access, the website that directed you to the Digital Services and the website you visit when you leave the Digital Services. This information is gathered with “cookies” and/or other online tools. See the “Cookies and Other Technologies” section below for more information on how these tools work and how we use them.
The information we collect in this manner is not personal information. However, we reserve the right to combine it with other information in an attempt to identify you or that does identify you.
ACCO Canada may use your IP address to derive your general location. At present, we do not collect precise geolocation information from your mobile device. Please be aware that if you submit a digital photograph to us, it may contain location data. If you don’t want us to have such data, you should delete it prior to submitting the photograph.
5. How We Use Information
The information we collect is used for the purpose for which it was collected, such as to provide the information, product or service you requested or to complete a transaction. We may also generally use your information to:
- Process, track and ship orders and manage billing and payment processes.
- Communicate with you regarding your orders, purchases, accounts, employment applications and Promotions entries.
- Provide customer service.
- Prevent and investigate malicious activity, security breaches, and fraud.
- Send you print or digital catalogs or promotional offers we believe will be of interest to you.
- Provide you with ACCO promotional emails, unless you have opted not to receive them. When you opt not to receive such promotional emails, we use your email address in order to comply with your preferences regarding such communications.
- Identify your preferences to customize our communications and marketing and provide you with a personalized experience.
- Post content provided by you, such as product reviews, on the Digital Services.
- Invite you to participate in Promotions or surveys.
- Administer and fulfill Promotions, including tax reporting.
- Improve our products, services, merchandise selection, Digital Services, marketing and promotional efforts and customer service.
- Develop and manage internal administrative and analytical processes and records.
6. How We Share Your Information with Others
ACCO Canada may transfer your information to third parties when you consent to such disclosure. For example, if you enter a Promotion, the official rules may include provisions related to the disclosure of your information. We may also share your information as follows:
The ACCO Canada Family
Third-Party Service Providers
ACCO Canada may share information with third-party service providers. For example, we may use third parties to provide hosting, maintenance and support services, payment processing and authorization, order processing, shipping, fraud protection and risk reduction, email distribution, mail delivery, marketing and advertising, market research and Promotions management and fulfillment. We provide these companies with only the personal information they need to perform their services. These companies are prohibited by contract from using your personal information for their own marketing purposes or from sharing your personal information with anyone other than ACCO Canada.
Third-Party Marketing and Sales
From time to time, we may make your name and contact information, together with information regarding your general shopping activity, demographics, and product preferences, available to third parties for their own or others’ marketing purposes.
We may also offer certain carefully chosen third-party products or services through the Digital Services. Should you choose to accept an offer from a third party, we will provide that third party with your personal information in order to facilitate the service or transaction that you request.
Business Reorganization or Sale
In the event that ACCO Canada merges with or becomes part of another organization, or in the event that we are sold, sell all or substantially all of our assets, sell a line of business or are otherwise reorganized, your information may be one of the assets transferred to the acquiring or reorganized entity.
Unless otherwise prohibited by law, ACCO Canada may share your non-personal information with third parties for any purpose, including third-party marketing efforts. This non-personal information may include aggregate data, which is compiled data reflecting the collective usage of multiple users. We may also share de-identified information. De-identified information is not personally identifiable, but it does reflect the usage patterns of a particular use of the Digital Services, as opposed to users collectively.
As Required by Law or to Protect Rights
Social Media and Advertising Platforms
We may use platforms such as Facebook® to offer you advertising based on your interests. In order to offer these ads, we may disclose personal information, such as email addresses or phone numbers, to the platform provider, which can match this information to a particular platform user.
Information Collected by Third Parties
7. Cookies and Other Technologies
ACCO Canada uses technologies, including, without limitation, cookies and pixel tags, in connection with the Digital Services.
- To permit our Digital Services to function properly and enhance user experience, such as remembering the items in your shopping cart, storing your preferences, recognizing you when you return to the Digital Services, providing a personalized experience, and helping you login to your account.
- To implement analytics tools, including Google Analytics, that help us understand how the Digital Services are performing and how visitors engage with the Digital Services.
- To improve and track our advertising, including to connect your activity across multiple visits and multiple ACCO Canada websites, to monitor your interaction with our advertising campaigns, to customize content and marketing on the Digital Services, and for Targeted Advertising.
ACCO Canada uses pixel tags, which are tiny graphic images (also known as web beacons, action tags, or transparent GIF files). Our use of pixel tags includes:
- To tell us which parts of the Digital Services you have visited and to measure the effectiveness of any searches you may perform on the Digital Services.
- To send you email messages in a format you can read and let us know when you have opened a message from us and whether you click on the links contained in the message.
- We or our ad marketing partners may use pixel tags to track your interaction with online advertising, measure the performance of a marketing effort, and for Targeted Advertising.
Links provided in our emails and, in some cases, on third-party websites may include tracking embedded in the link. The tracking is accomplished through a redirection system. The redirection system allows ACCO Canada to understand how the link is being used. Some of these links will enable ACCO Canada to determine that you have clicked on the link. This information may be combined with the personal information that we have about you. We use this information to evaluate and improve our services and the performance of our marketing campaigns.
Most browsers accept cookies by default, but you can usually block or restrict cookies on your computer or device or purge them from your browser by adjusting your browser preferences. You should consult the user guide for your browser or mobile device for instructions on how to configure settings to meet your preferences. Cookies allow you to take advantage of some features of the Digital Services, so if you block or restrict cookies, you may not be able to use some features of the Digital Services. To learn more about Google Analytics and your privacy choices in connection with Google Analytics, including the Google Analytics Browser Opt-Out Add On, please visit the Google website at https://www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/.
8. Targeted Advertising
ACCO Canada’ advertisements are shown on third-party websites and platforms and our Digital Services may display advertising from third parties. We and our vendors, including Google, use technologies such as cookies and pixel tags to help manage online advertising and to serve ads to you based on your online activity, including past visits to the Digital Services and visits to third-party websites and platforms. These technologies are provided by our vendors and allow the vendors to recognize a unique cookie or pixel tag placed by us (when you access the Digital Services) or by third parties (when you visit third-party websites or platforms). They also allow us and our vendors to collect information about your online activities over time and across third-party websites and platforms so we can manage advertising effectiveness and provide you with online advertisements, including advertisements on third-party websites and platforms, more likely to be of interest to you. These technologies also allow us to learn which advertisements bring users to our Digital Services.
For more information about targeted advertising and your choice to opt-out of receiving targeted online advertisements, visit the following:
- To opt-out from targeted advertising from members of the Digital Advertising Alliance (DAA), please visit the DAA website. http://www.aboutads.info/choices/
- To opt-out of targeted advertising from members of the Network Advertising Initiative (NAI), please visit the NAI website. http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/
Please note that these opt-out mechanisms are browser specific. If you wish to opt-out of targeted advertising across all browsers, you need visit the above websites from each browser you use. Also, please be aware that if you opt out of receiving targeted advertising, you will still be served with advertisements, but they will no longer be targeted to your interests.
9. Your Privacy Choices
Promotional Email Communications from ACCO Canada
ACCO Canada wants to provide you with relevant information regarding our products and services. You can choose which promotional email communications to receive from us by logging in to “My Account” and adjusting your communication preferences. In addition, you can opt out of receiving promotional emails from us by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link in any promotional email we send you and following the procedures indicated. Please note that even if you opt out of receiving promotional emails from us, we will send you transaction emails and respond to questions from you.
If you no longer wish to receive print catalogs from us, please contact us with a request to be removed from our print catalog mailing list and provide your exact name and address, or the mailing label from your catalog, so that we can identify you correctly. Because mailings are planned in advance, it may take several weeks for your request to become effective. If you continue to receive unwanted print catalogs, please contact us again.
Do Not Track (“DNT”) Signals
Although your browser may deliver a DNT signal to the Digital Services, ACCO Canada does not currently respond to DNT signals.
Cookies and Other Technologies; Targeted Advertising
Although ACCO Canada uses Secure Socket Layer (“SSL”) security technology to safeguard your shopping transactions and encrypt your payment information, no website, server or application is completely secure. We cannot promise that your personal information will not be disclosed or misused, either by accident or by the unauthorized acts of others, such as “hackers.” We urge you to be careful online. This includes not sharing your user names and passwords.
The Digital Services may contain customer reviews, message boards and other areas allowing you to post content on the Digital Services or share it with your social media accounts. Please remember that any information disclosed in this manner becomes public information. You agree that ACCO Canada is not responsible for material posted by you or others in these public forums.
11. Links to Other Sites
Other ACCO Canada Websites and Digital Platforms
Third-Party Websites and Digital Platforms
12. Updating Your Information
Some ACCO Canada Digital Services allow or require users to set up an account. If you have an account, you can access and update your account information by logging in to the “My Account” section. You may also update certain customer information (name, address, telephone number and email address) by contacting us. Please note that you may not be able to access or update all information we have about you.
The Digital Services are intended for use by adults only. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. If you are a parent or legal guardian and think your child under 13 has given us personal information, you can contact us to remove such information.
14. Contact Us
or by mail at:
Re: Privacy Compliance Officer
7381 Bramalea Rd Mississauga Ontario CA L5S 1C4